Defective Medical Device Attorney – Menges Law Firm Will Fight For You
Medical devices are a crucial part of modern healthcare. These devices do everything from helping doctors make an accurate diagnosis to performing complex surgeries and treatments. When these seemingly reliable devices fail to function as intended, however, the consequences can be catastrophic.
Every year, thousands of people suffer life-altering injuries due to defective medical devices, resulting in physical and emotional traumas that can last a lifetime. At Menges Law Firm, our team of experienced personal injury attorneys can help you identify the liable party and hold them accountable for the life-altering damage they caused. We have decades of experience helping our clients win compensation for injuries and illnesses caused by medical device defects.
Medical Device Defects Come In Many Dangerous Shapes And Sizes
At Menges Law Firm, we have the tools and resources necessary to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the defect and determine liability. We represent individuals injured by defective medical devices including those involving:
- Design defects;
- Manufacturing defects;
- Labeling defects;
- Failure to warn defects;
- Marketing defects;
- And improper use defects.
There are a number of reasons why defective medical devices make it to market. In some cases, manufacturers may be unaware of the risks until after the device has been put into use. In other cases, manufacturers know about the risks but choose to downplay them in order to gain FDA approval.
Whatever the reason for the defect, the impact on patients can be devastating. In addition to physical pain and suffering, patients may also face astronomical medical bills and a lifetime of disability. For families who have lost a loved one to a defective medical device, their grief is compounded by anger and frustration over a system that failed them.
Types of Defective Medical Devices
There are many different types of defective medical devices that can cause serious health conditions. Some of the most common include:
- Defective Pacemakers: Defective pacemakers may cause shocks, which can lead to serious health complications and even death.
- Defective Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICDs): If an ICD is defective, it may fail to deliver a life-saving shock when needed or may deliver inappropriate shocks that cause health complications.
- Defective Hip Implants: If a hip implant is defective, it can loosen, fracture, or come out of the socket completely. This can lead to pain, disability, and the need for revision surgery.
- Defective Knee Implants: If a knee implant is defective, it can loosen, fracture, or wear out prematurely. This can lead to pain, disability, and the need for revision surgery.
- Defective Surgical Mesh: This type of mesh is used in a variety of surgical procedures, but it can cause infection, chronic pain, and other complications.
- Defective Transvaginal Mesh: This mesh is used to treat pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence, but it has been linked to serious complications such as organ perforation, infection, and chronic pain.
- Defective IVC Filter: These are small, cage-like devices that are implanted in the inferior vena cava to prevent blood clots from traveling to the lungs. However, they can break or migrate, potentially causing serious health problems.
- Defective Infusion Pumps: These devices are used to deliver medication or fluids directly into the bloodstream, but they can malfunction, delivering too much or too little medication, potentially causing serious harm to patients.
If you have been injured by a defective medical device, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. An experienced personal injury attorney can review your case and advise you of your legal options.